Home Forums General Forum Neglect

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Action on Elder Abuse 1 year, 1 month ago.

  • Author
  • #4182 Reply


    My father inlaw is in a 45 bed dementia unit, one which I can only discribe as the armpit of care, the smell of the place turns your stomach, there is never any staff about I searched for 30 minutes trying to find some one to take my father inlaw to the toilet, today my husband visited and found him in someone else’s wheel chair jammed under a table in such a way that he could not move, again no staff about, he is offen wearing other people’s belongings such as slippers, the home constantly looses his things his shaver, teeth, slippers, walking frame, wheel chair there is never any clean clothes in his room we take clothes in that just disappear, we are trying to get him moved social services are very obstructive rather than helpful, there seems to be no support what can we do to get him moved

  • #3759 Reply

    If an individual is not satisfied with the service provided by social services one may wish to consider filing a complaint or escalating the matter to someone in a higher position than the person dealing with the matter.

    In regards to the condition of a care home, if an individual finds that the service is poor it may be worth getting in touch with the Care Quality Commission (known as The Care Inspectorate in Scotland and Care and Social Services Inspectorate in Wales) who regulate and inspect health and social care providers. The Care Quality Commission also provide reports for care homes which may be useful when searching for a care home as well as finding the current report of the care home the individual concerned is situated.


    • #4726 Reply


      I too have a father, aged 93 and blind, in a care home. It was good when he first went in but has now deteriorated. They too lose his possessions and essential hearing and paging kit with no explanation but the expectation I will replace these at the drop of a hat. Dad is left sitting all day in his wheelchair in a corner and is not communicated with, although an intelligent man who is a good conversationalist. Yes, Dad is recalcitrant at times, but there ARE ways to persuade and the carers do not even try. They ignore his calls for help and last week he had an empty cup and was calling for water, calls which were ignored.
      The Home recently scalded him. It became a safeguarding issue but because the Home has now “put in a protocol” the case is closed. Nearly 3 months on, my father’s legs are still being dressed DAILY.
      Social Services are obstructive and have threatened me with Court action if I attempt to remove him to another home.
      My solicitor says the Home is using Dad’s protestations (out of fear) that all is all right, to ignore my complaints.
      I do not want my father spending the latter part of what has been a good life, in these circumstances of neglect. I regularly have to shave him and cut and file his fingernails.
      It is breaking my heart and the Home and Social Services are blocking my complaints and threatening me.

  • #4804 Reply

    We understand that is must be distressing to witness this.

    If there are concerns over theft of one’s belongings in a care home, the police may be contacted.

    You state that the home is using your father’s protestations (out of fear) that all is all right. On this basis, if your father is deemed to have mental capacity, we would encourage you to further express your concerns to him. Also to reassure him that he does not have to stay in the current situation he is in. If the individual concerned refuses help, in many cases it is often difficult for authorities such as social services or the police to intervene further.

    Keeping a recording device in his room is an option for consideration. However, we strongly suggest looking at guidelines/policy on using camera/recording devices in a care home environment.

    You may also want to consider getting in touch with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) who is the independent regulator of social care services in England and are also able to look into complaints and concerns regarding quality of care in care homes. The CQC can be contacted on 03000 616161.

  • #6128 Reply


    My Nan (88) Has a late stage of dementia and Alzheimer’s and recently had a stroke, after a long stay in hospital she was moved to a nursing home 3 weeks ago, at fist glance the place seemed nice.
    In the short time she has been there we had noticed a few things we were not happy with, the hospital stated very clearly that due to the fact my nan was very frail and could not mover herself that she needed 2 people to help lift and move her to eat, clean and dress.
    A few times while visiting my nan I witnessed her being moved quite heavy highhandedly by just one member of staff, I told them she really needed two people to move her and I was told they were short staffed.
    Last Friday I noticed my nan seemed really unhappy and looked in a lot of pain and couldn’t move her arm, not that she had much movement before.
    I asked the nurse to look at it and her response was that my nan was just weak, a few days passed and my nan’s arm looked like it was still causing her a lot of pain and I noticed a lump/bulge on her shoulder – I suspected that due to her being lifted up by only one member of staff that they may of hurt her arm – she was clearly pain.
    I confronted the nurse again as almost a week had passed and she was very aggressive an refused to see anything was wrong.
    I demanded my nan see a doctor and left as I was so angry, today I got a call from the nursing home informing me that my nan has dislocated her shoulder, bearing in mind she can not move herself I knew this was due to her being moved incorrectly, when I asked if they would take her to get an xray and asked how this could of happened I was told my nan dose not need an xray and that see dose not need to go to hospital and that they are given her paracetamol.
    This to me is neglect, not only was my nan hurt by this she was left for a week in pain.
    What should I do? , ideally I would like to move my nan out of this home.

    • #6217 Reply

      Hi Wayne,

      We are sorry to hear of the situation you describe. We understand that this can be very difficult to witness.

      We would suggest getting in touch with the nursing home manager and raising your concerns. If you feel there is no suitable outcome, you may want to consider going through their complaints procedure.

      You may also want to get in touch with the Adult Safeguarding team within your grandma’s local authority. Provided your grandma is open to receiving their help or she lacks mental capacity they may be able to intervene further as they have a duty to protect vulnerable adults. They may also be able to provide some assistance with relocating your grandma. Their details can be found on the website of the local authority your grandma currently resides in.

      In addition to this, you may want to consider getting in touch with your grandma’s GP to raise a concern about her arm as in some instances he/she may be able to visit her and assess the situation further.


      We have done our best to ensure that the information in this forum post was correct at the time of posting. However, we do not provide legal advice and cannot be held responsible for any mistake or missing information, or for any action you take or fail to take as a result of the information in this response.

Reply To: Neglect
Your information: